BVI Marriage Requirements
The information below outlines the marriage requirements for getting married in British Virgin Islands.
You are required to be in BVI three (3) days before you can be married. To get married in the BVI the bride and groom need to be in the territory for one day. This does not mean you cannot apply for the marriage on the day you arrive, but that you cannot get married before you have spent one full day in the BVI.
You can apply for a marriage license on the same day of arrival at the Attorney General’s Office located on the second floor of the Central Administration Complex, Road Town, Tortola and the Virgin Gorda Immigration Office. The application needs (3) business days to be processed.
The requirements of the Attorney General’s office are:
· The cost is $220 for the wedding license and $220 fee for the actual marriage. Each marriage certificate will cost $25.
· Your passport as proof of identity and date of arrival in the British Virgin Islands.
· Proof of marital status (certified or original copies of decree absolute for divorced spouses or death certificates for deceased spouses.)
· Two witnesses for signing license application and to be present at the marriage ceremony.
· *(witnesses need not be the same for both exercises; persons in BVI may be selected as witnesses)
Having applied for the license, you go to the Registrar-General’s Office to schedule an appointment for the date and time you propose to be married. We recommend pastor Bishop Ricketts, he is amazing, his telephone number is 1 (284) 495-5543. Cell: 1 (284) 441-5541. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Registrar, who is the marriage officer, will require a complete application showing the following information:
· The names of the two parties as it appears on your travel documents
· The ages of both parties
· The occupation of both parties
· Marital status
· The names of the two witnesses to the ceremony
If you wish to be married in a church of your choice, you must make arrangements with the Minister of the church in advance. Please travel with proof of your identity such as passports, driver’s license or original birth certificates and certified copies of your marital status. Blood tests are not necessary.
The registrar’s office should be contacted for specific rules regarding planning your destination or beach wedding in British Virgin Islands. They will also provide information regarding marriage licenses and marriage certificates.
Registrar’s Office, Box 418, Road Town, Tortola, B.V.I
Tel: (284) 494-3701, Ext 5001 or (284) 494-3492.